Assistant to the Graduate Dean
Job Description Position Summary Reporting to the Graduate Dean, the Assistant provides administrative oversight and coordination...
Job Views ( 3 )
Bowling Green, OhioWood County
Reporting to the Graduate Dean, the Assistant provides administrative oversight and coordination of the operational activities for the Graduate College; serves as liaison between the Graduate College and the Division of Academic Affairs/ Office of the Provost; other university college dean offices, graduate program coordinators, Graduate Council, President’s Office, Student Affairs, Development, Finance and Administration, General Counsel, Equity and Diversity, academic colleges and departments, Faculty Senate, Undergraduate Student Government and Graduate Student Senate; as well as governing bodies/entities and individuals such as the Chancellor’s Council for Graduate Studies (CCGS) of the Ohio Department of Higher Education (ODHE); administers and manages the coordination, progress tracking, and reporting of Graduate Council activities such as curriculum and program development; prepares and/or provides coordination, data collection, analysis, reports and other communications; and oversees the planning, scheduling, and execution of meetings and events for, and on behalf of the Graduate College Dean.
Essential Duties, Tasks and Responsibilities
Coordination of Graduate College Operations
- Serves as the primary coordinator representing the Dean for all administrative and operational matters within the Graduate College, including, but not limited to tracking of personnel actions; leave reports; scheduling of events and standing meetings; and documenting outcomes.
- Serves as the primary coordinator for all administrative operational matters between/among the Graduate College and other divisions and/or external entities, including the President, the Provost office, and Line College Dean.
Oversight of Projects and Initiatives
- Provides administrative oversight for Graduate College projects and initiatives which involve the collaboration of many Graduate College staff. This oversight organizes the staff, the digital process that will be used in the project, any possible space allocation for the project, or strategizing on process for these projects. One example is the organization of graduate program and curriculum development which involves the collaboration of the graduate faculty, faculty administrators, and council members in this process.
- Provides leadership in managing Graduate Council for the Dean. This includes organizing the monthly full council meetings, monthly sub-committee meetings, managing (according to the Academic Charter) the composition of membership, and investigating Graduate Council mandates from the Charter.
- Supports the Graduate Dean with initiatives involving the Department of Higher Education (Chancellor’s Council for Graduate Studies/CCGS). This includes weekly communication with CCGS, the distribution of documents from CCGS to the appropriate BGSU faculty, and the creation of memos for the State of Ohio regarding program development.
- Manages the Graduate Faculty Status (GFS) process, including updating the GFS policy on the web, notifying faculty members when their status as expired, and monitoring the status of each faculty member in the CSS system.
- Manage the development, approval, and processes related to Accelerated Bachelor’s to Master’s programs and track students throughout the Accelerated career. Manage the approval and data related to Advanced Undergrad Status requests.
- Provide administrative assistance to the Dean or Dean’s designate with academic probation and dismissal, and appeals processes.
- Provides administrative assistance to the development of the annual Strategic Plan process, including organization of meetings of the College Executive Team, summarizing strategic plans, and creating an organizational chart for the development of the strategic plan.
- Authors, compiles, and manages communications and communications flow to and from the Graduate Dean, Deans, Graduate Associate Deans, Chairs and Directors, graduate students, and organizations/individuals external to the University.
- Prepares and disseminates reports to various constituencies and government agencies; tracks standing reports and ad hoc requests to ensure assignments and requests are met, submitted on time, distributed to appropriate individuals, and archived.
- Independently investigates concerns and issues and provides recommendations/resolutions to the Dean and others on behalf of the Dean. Drafts/creates content and recommends items for the Graduate College website to promote and support the academic quality and mission of BGSU.
- Oversees the process and staff who regularly update the Graduate College website.
Daily Operations/Administrative Support
- Coordinates and manages Graduate Dean’s daily meeting and schedule preparation by: preparing topical issues for discussion; gathering research, data/data analysis, and preparation of reports; compiles background meeting materials for briefing; ensures all pertinent/relevant supporting materials are summarized, organized, and distributed prior to the meeting to ensure effective and productive use of meeting time; creates meeting minutes/notes as needed.
- Coordinates travel and conference arrangements for the Dean, Associate Dean, and other staff as appropriate.
- Oversees the hiring process for the College, including supervising classified staff and graduate assistants in the College.
- Oversees daily purchases for the College and when necessary, assists with College budget oversight (such as the student professional development budget and foundation accounts).
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Full-time, Administrative staff position available. Administrative Grade Level 354. Salary is commensurate with education and experience. Full benefit package available.
Deadline to apply: February 18, 2021
For a complete job description & to apply for this position visit https://bgsu.hiretouch.com/ or contact the Office of Human Resources at (419) 372-8421. BGSU. AA/EEO/Disabilities/Veterans. In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Bowling Green State University, please call 419-372-8421.
Knowledge, Skills or Abilities
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills involving high-level and detailed communications with internal and external contacts; ability to listen, to simplify details, synthesize main points of larger documents to provide executive summaries
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously; project management skills, follow-up, and follow-through skills, flexibility
- Knowledge of higher education operations and environments
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, anticipate needs, act with diplomacy and tact, and exercise independent and sound judgement
- Demonstrated ability to perform at a high level and meet deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to tolerate high levels of ambiguity
- Expertise in Microsoft Office Suite; Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook
- Ability to learn new computer program skills (e.g., OnBase, Adobe Sign)
Bachelor’s degree in any field.
The following experience is required:
- 2– 4 years of experience in project management; communications; and/or operations.
View Job at OMJ
3 total views
We are proud to offer priority of services to U.S. Military Veterans and eligible spouses.
OhioMeansJobs and Economic Development Partner Develop Resources to Help Employers Find Skilled Workers
OhioMeansJobs Hancock is partnering with Findlay-Hancock County Economic Development to help employers find skilled workers for their job openings.
OhioMeansJobs- Hancock offers several free business development resources designed to help