General Ledger Accountant
CITY OF FINDLAY, OHIO GENERAL LEDGER ACCOUNTANT Job Title in Current Payroll Ordinance: Auditor Staff Accountant (this range as of the job posting...
Job Views ( 25 )
Findlay, OhioHancock County
CITY OF FINDLAY, OHIO
GENERAL LEDGER ACCOUNTANT
Job Title in Current Payroll Ordinance:
Auditor Staff Accountant (this range as of the job posting is $21.63 to $39.58 per hour per ordinance; however, likely starting range would be capped mid-range depending upon experience and qualifications). This is an hourly position.
Reports to: City Auditor and/or Deputy City Auditor
Purpose for the Position: To perform the following calculating, posting, and verifying duties to obtain financial data for the use in maintaining accounting records. This includes compilation and sorting of documents, such as invoices, vouchers, checks, time cards, and purchase orders. This is a position that is impacted by, as well as impacts, all of the separate functions of the Auditor’s Office; therefore, the position needs to have a broad range of understanding or willingness to learn those other functions.
One or more of the following functions may be classified under the General Ledger Accountant position and this list does NOT cover all responsibilities assigned (bullet points are provided as examples of the types of tasks involved in the functions). There will be other duties assigned as deemed appropriate. Many of these tasks are progressively assigned and/or learned.
Assist in Accounts Payable Functions:
- Processing accounts payable in order to correctly issue vendor checks
- Processing of requisitions/purchase orders
- Vendor communications & information maintenance
- 1099 processes
Assist in Accounts Receivable Functions:
- Processing accounts receivable in order to correctly maintain the general ledger balances
- General Billing
- Airport Receivables
- Utility Billing month end balancing
- Hotel/Motel Taxes
Assist in Fixed Assets Functions:
- MUNIS module functions for additions, disposals, and transfers
- Annual audits of fixed asset inventory
- Comparison of city appraisal for correctness to fixed asset system
- Auctioned assets tracking
- Reconciling of vehicles to vehicle insurance renewal
- Creating the journal entries to update the General Ledger balances as it pertains to the Assets and their related depreciation.
- Working with Engineering information to add/dispose of infrastructure items from the general ledger accounts
Assist in Work Order function:
- Generate monthly fleet maintenance work orders
- Create work orders for select departments to enter time charges
- Create activity codes for departments as needed
- Develop instructions for MUNIS manual dealing with work orders module
- Continued development of the module which includes interfacing it with the inventory module
Miscellaneous other functions:
- Creation of journal entries and balancing of monthly of various accounts; makes system corrections with relation to posting errors
- Consumable inventories process (annual and ongoing with new module to be implemented)
- Assists in development of policies, procedures, and documentation the Auditor’s Office administers
- Data entry of all journal entries created by Deputy City Auditor
- Returned Check List maintenance and distribution
- City contact for online auction listings for City Departments
- Auditor’s Office budget record keeping and ordering
- Auditor’s Office Records Retention
- Assists in development of policies and procedures the Auditor’s Office administers
- Assist in the administration of small, internal audits (i.e., petty cash)
- Any other duties as determined by Deputy City Auditor or City Auditor
- Serve as the primary back up of the Accounts Payable function when employee is out
- Serve as the primary back up of the Accounts Receivable/Fixed Assets function when employee is out
- Serve as the primary back up of Payroll function when employee is out
- Assist in analysis of new software modules and implementation of the same
- Adhere to HIPAA guidelines
- Assist Deputy Auditor in all banking functions
- Assist Deputy Auditor in all budget functions
- Assist Deputy Auditor in all debt functions
- Assist Deputy Auditor in all project/grant accounting
- Assist Deputy Auditor in all compliance functions
Assist in Financial Functions:
- MUNIS (financial system)
- Assist in maintaining financial policies and procedures manual
- General Ledger Balancing continuous process
- reviewing cash balances of all funds
- monthly, quarterly, and annual reporting as needed for various functions
- Implementation of new software modules that directly tie to the financial system
- Review of portions of other software programs implemented by other department processes that impact the financial system or financial processing
- Special funds oversight/management
- Oversight of payments made out of the City’s General Expense Account
- Develop or Revise Financial Policies and Procedures, as needed
- Analytical analysis of financial revenues and expenses to identify issues
Inside: Protection from weather conditions but not necessarily from temperature changes. A job is considered “inside” if the worker spends approximately 75 percent or more of the time inside.
Other Pertinent Information:
This position is a full-time, politically appointed position that serves at the discretion of the City Auditor. It is NOT a civil service tested or protected position, nor do civil service rules apply to this position.
Normal office hours are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Benefits include: medical insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, life insurance, Ohio Public Employees Retirement System, paid sick time, paid vacation time (after one year), overtime/compensatory time, and paid holidays.
The opening will be posted until January 10, 2022.
Skills and Abilities:
- Compute and record numbers correctly
- Impeccable organization skills
- Use eyes, hands, and fingers at the same time to enter figures in books and forms, or to operate a 10-key calculator or personal computer
- Perform work that is routine and extremely detailed
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word required and the ability to quickly master other software as needed
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills are required
- Understand and use math concepts
- In depth understanding or willingness/ability to learn governmental accounting
- Independent critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Comprehend detailed job assignments with minimal re-explanation
- Ability to explain complex accounting in layman’s terms to non-accountants
- Know when to escalate problems or issues timely
- High degree of multitasking and rapid prioritization adaptation
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or related field
- An individual working to or plans to obtain a CPA license is preferred
- 2 years or more years of experience in governmental accounting or similar accounting position is preferred, but not required
Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally (Occasionally: activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of the time) and/or a negligible amount of force frequently (Frequently: activity or condition exists from 1/3 to 2/3 of the time) to lift, carry, push, or pull, or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
View Job at OMJ
25 total views
We are proud to offer priority of services to U.S. Military Veterans and eligible spouses.
OhioMeansJobs and Economic Development Partner Develop Resources to Help Employers Find Skilled Workers
OhioMeansJobs Hancock is partnering with Findlay-Hancock County Economic Development to help employers find skilled workers for their job openings.
OhioMeansJobs- Hancock offers several free business development resources designed to help