Grounds Maintenance at Heidelberg University GENERAL PURPOSE: Perform a variety of general grounds maintenance duties as well as those duties necessary to meet...
Job Views ( 13 )
Tiffin, OhioOther County
Grounds Maintenance at Heidelberg University
Perform a variety of general grounds maintenance duties as well as those duties necessary to meet the needs of the institution in support of the University’s mission. This position is considered essential and is required to provide services in emergencies, including inclement weather, as determined by University Administration.
Works under the direct supervision of the Grounds Foreman and Associate VP for Facilities and Engineering or his designee.
The grounds maintenance employee will be responsible for planning and coordinating daily work assignments and will work collaboratively with other maintenance and facilities staff, and may exert occasional supervision over student workers as needed for successful outcomes.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
*Performs general grounds/landscaping maintenance work; maintains tools and equipment in proper condition; uses various lawn mowers to cut grass areas; performs minor repair and adjustment of equipment; plants, transplants, cultivates, waters and irrigates plants and trees; fertilizes, waters, irrigates and cares for lawns; trims trees, hedges, and shrubs; prepares and treats soil for planting; operates trucks and various lawn maintenance equipment; maintains irrigation and sprinkler systems; collects and disposes of rubbish; may design and construct landscape projects; may operate, maintain and repair sprinkler systems; performs general grounds cleaning.
*Removes snow and ice from walkways, roadways and parking lots. May drive trucks or other equipment with snowplow and salt spreading attachments. Some salt spreading may be done by hand as required. Some snow and ice removal may be done by shovel.
*Mows, waters, applies fertilizer and maintains lawns. Sows seeds and lays sod.
*Operates a wide variety of grounds maintenance motorized and non-motorized equipment, which may include the following: trucks, front loaders, skid steers, tractors, mowers, air compressors, paint machines, rollers, brush chippers, chain saws, vacuums, blowers, tillers, power sprayers, snow blowers, snowplows, snowbrushes, and weed eaters. Performs minor repairs and maintenance on trucks and grounds related equipment and on grounds, parking lots, roadways, walkways and buildings.
*Applies and/or directs the application of pesticides to ornamental plantings, turf and other areas of campus grounds.
*Performs miscellaneous duties: operates two-way radio; may clean garages and storage compounds; fuels and cleans trucks and cleans tools; move furniture, etc.
*Removes litter, leaves, etc., from campus grounds, parking lots, roadways, walkways and buildings.
*Maintains parking lots and roadways including pavement patching and striping, and sign installation.
*May perform concrete installation and repair and assist other building trades groups as required and time or conditions permit.
*Performs roof/gutter inspections and cleaning and may perform minor repairs.
Note: This list is representative of those duties and responsibilities that are normally required of this position. However, the list is not to be considered as all inclusive. A supervisor may assign other duties to meet mission requirements of the University and cooperation of all personnel is expected to carry out the mission.
CORE VALUES AND PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES:
• Core values – models leadership values of integrity, honesty, humility, transparency, respectfulness, diversity, caring, loyalty and accountability in all work.
• Intellectual dynamism – demonstrates mental sharpness, capability and agility.
• Self-knowledge – gains insight from successes and mistakes.
• Personal learning – seeks feedback and counsel to improve managerial behavior.
• Peer relationships – encourages collaboration and cooperation across the organization.
• Teamwork – performs most effectively as a hard-working member of a team.
• Constituency focus – completes work to meet constituencies’ expectations and requirements.
• Community focus – brings a spirit of enthusiasm and energy to the campus and local community.
DESIRED ATTRIBUTES AND QUALIFICATIONS:
Education and Professional Experience:
A. High School diploma or equivalent; and,
B. Valid US Driver’s License; and,
C. One (1) to three (3) years successful full-time experience in grounds maintenance or landscaping.
Preferred Education and Experience:
A. Experience in multi-facility environments;
B. OSHA 10-hr Certification;
C. OSHA 30-hr Certification.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Ability to operate motorized grounds maintenance equipment is required and must be demonstrated.
• Aptitude for safety, safe work practices, good housekeeping and continuous improvement.
• Knowledge of basic computer skills.
• Ability to read, write, and comprehend common vocabulary.
• Ability to understand basic blueprint design.
• Ability to plan and organize.
• Ability to multi-task a myriad of assignments and projects.
• Ability to take initiative and work with minimal supervision.
• Above average oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to work an altered or extended schedule when projects or deadlines require including weekends, evenings and holidays. This position is designated as essential and the employee may be required to provide a means to be contacted during non-duty hours for emergencies.
• A commitment to support the University’s mission and values.
View Job at OMJ
13 total views
We are proud to offer priority of services to U.S. Military Veterans and eligible spouses.
OhioMeansJobs and Economic Development Partner Develop Resources to Help Employers Find Skilled Workers
OhioMeansJobs Hancock is partnering with Findlay-Hancock County Economic Development to help employers find skilled workers for their job openings.
OhioMeansJobs- Hancock offers several free business development resources designed to help