Full-time Mechanic The Hancock County Engineer’s Office is seeking a full-time Mechanic. Under supervision of the team leader, this position will...
Job Views ( 21 )
Findlay, OhioHancock County
The Hancock County Engineer’s Office is seeking a full-time Mechanic. Under supervision of the team leader, this position will maintain and repair vehicles and equipment used by the County Engineer’s organization. The mechanic will perform vehicle and equipment inspection; maintenance tasks; minor body work; winterizing activities; diagnosis and troubleshooting; as well as complex repairs on engines, electrical, ignition, intake and exhaust, hydraulic and related systems. Will work around machinery with moving parts, dust, noise, fumes, and alongside traffic. Work in a team-oriented environment. Perform other related duties as assigned.
- High school or equivalent diploma and 1+ year(s) of related work experience.
- Possess and maintain a valid State of Ohio Class A or B commercial driver’s license (CDL).
- Automotive Services Excellence (ASE) certification is preferred.
- Work a regular 7 am – 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday day shift. Must be available and willing to work outside of regular shift, particularly during the winter months, and be on-call.
- Able to perform work in all environmental conditions; frequently stand, regularly walk, bend, stoop, crouch, kneel, climb, etc.; regularly lift or move weights up to 75 pounds—or greater, infrequently. Good hearing and depth perception.
Position to start as soon as possible.
$20.00 / hour
Our application can be accessed at: https://co.hancock.oh.us/docs/engineerdataprovider/default-document-library/application-for-employment.pdf?sfvrsn=9ad225c4_2
To apply, please upload, email, or mail a completed application, along with resume/references by August 31, 2021 to:
or mail to:
Kristi R. Eilerman
Hancock County Engineer’s Office
1900 Lima Avenue
Findlay, OH 45840
Mechanic Essential Functions
Normal duties would include but would not be limited to the following:
- Perform vehicle/equipment maintenance and repair tasks of a physical nature for extended periods of time.
- Perform routine, preventive inspection and maintenance tasks such as changing oil and filters, changing tires, checking fluid levels, greasing and lubricating moving parts, disassembling and replacing worn parts, servicing vehicle transmissions and inspecting and repairing lights.
- Operate various hand and power tools, small machines, and medium to heavy motorized equipment for a standard work shift in accordance with customary operating and safety practices. Hand and power tools may include: wrenches, sockets, drills, impact guns, grinders, etc. Small machines may include: hoist, air compressors, and welder. Medium to heavy motorized equipment may include: service truck, fuel truck, dump truck, loader, grader and forklift.
- Exercise independent judgment to effectively examine, diagnose and troubleshoot malfunctioning vehicles and equipment both in the shop and on the road.
- Apply knowledge and past work experience to perform routine to complex repairs on diesel and gasoline fuel engines, electrical, ignition, intake and exhaust, hydraulic and related systems independent of supervision. Replace parts, such as pressure hoses and fittings, universal joints, carrier bearings and drive shafts, rewire vehicles and equipment, and perform other related duties.
- Fit new parts and adjust engines, oil, water, fuel pumps, carburetors, fuel injectors, governors, starting motors, clutches, radiators, transmissions, differentials, brakes and steering gear.
- Perform minor body work to include cutting, brazing, fabrication, finishing and painting.
- Perform winterizing activities on vehicles and equipment; and service and repair snowplows, sand spreaders and other related equipment.
- Keep records of work performed, parts used and work to be completed at a later time. Prepare and submit work-related forms and reports.
- Assist highway crews as needed. Deliver fuel to work sites and fill vehicles and equipment fuel tanks; haul materials and equipment to work sites; patch, pave and seal concrete and asphalt roadways; repair road berms and ditches; remove ice and snow from roadways; and, monitor and direct traffic.
- Operate a dump truck with snow plow attachment to plow and/or spread salt for snow and ice control.
- Read instructions, operating manuals, safety rules, organizational correspondence, bulletins, etc. and be able to follow simple to moderately complex instructions.
- Maintain the mechanic’s tools, storage facilities, work benches, trucks and work areas in a clean and orderly fashion.
- Respond to after-hours emergency calls and perform related duties.
- Communicate effectively with others both verbally and in writing. Courteously interact and responds to the public, elected officials, and co-workers.
- Report to work as scheduled, with regular and punctual attendance.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
- High school or equivalent diploma and 1+ year(s) of work experience as a mechanic (A different combination of education and experience may be acceptable if deemed equivalent).
- Possess a valid State of Ohio Class A or B commercial driver’s license (CDL) with an acceptable driving record.
- Automotive Services Excellence (ASE) certification is preferred.
- Authorized to work in the US on a full-time indefinite basis without the need for employment visa sponsorship now or in the future.
- Able to reliably commute to Findlay, OH work location and live within a 30-mile radius to respond to calls.
- Work a regular Monday through Friday day shift. Available and willing to work outside of regular shift, particularly during the winter months; and required to be on-call.
- Frequently stand for long periods of time, regularly required to walk, bend, stoop, crouch, kneel, crawl, rake, shovel or sweep.
- Regularly lift and/or move weights up to 75 pounds; infrequently lift and/or move up to 100 pounds; and climb stairs (in buildings or into vehicles).
- Good hearing, vision, and depth perception are required.
- Able to drive to various work site locations.
- Able to perform work regularly in outside weather conditions, including extreme hot or cold weather conditions.
- Able to access and navigate job sites; frequently work on roadways alongside active traffic; and work around machinery with moving mechanical parts, vibration, noise and/or fumes/dust during a regular work shift.
View Job at OMJ
21 total views
We are proud to offer priority of services to U.S. Military Veterans and eligible spouses.
OhioMeansJobs and Economic Development Partner Develop Resources to Help Employers Find Skilled Workers
OhioMeansJobs Hancock is partnering with Findlay-Hancock County Economic Development to help employers find skilled workers for their job openings.
OhioMeansJobs- Hancock offers several free business development resources designed to help