Public Records Officer/Policy Coordinator
Position Summary Receive and respond to all public records requests, subpoenas, and third-party inquiries on behalf of the university. Work in...
Job Views ( 19 )
Bowling Green, OhioWood County
Receive and respond to all public records requests, subpoenas, and third-party inquiries on behalf of the university. Work in concert with attorneys in the Office of General Counsel, outside counsel, and BGSU employees to respond to litigation and/or agency claims. Set up and manage matters related to public records, subpoenas and third-party requests in the Office of General Counsel database.
Oversee the process for formalizing and public issuance of university policies, including the process for vetting, approval, archiving, systematic review, and filing necessary rules with the Ohio Legislative Service Commission. Develop and maintain the central policy repository for the university. Communicate with representatives as a resource and point of contact for the campus community in the policy process.
Essential Duties, Tasks and Responsibilities
- Prepare timely responses to public records requests, subpoenas and any other third-party inquiries. Consult with various members of the University community to gather responsive documents. Review records to determine appropriate redactions under the Ohio Public Records Act and FERPA, and any other university policies, state, and federal laws. Receive and respond to alt court-issued subpoenas in addition to public record requests. Coordinate with outside auditors regarding compliance with Ohio Sunshine Laws.
- Oversee the maintenance of assigned matters in document management system and ensure confidentiality of all records. Assist with document collection, coordinate with outside counsel and university employees in connection with litigation, including maintaining database of litigation hold and coordinating with security personnel in Information Technology.
- Oversee the process for formalizing and public issuance of university policies including maintaining the central repository for the university. Ensure the university’s policies and practices remain current with LSC and ERF filing systems.
- Other duties, including research and benchmarking, as assigned
Knowledge, Skills or Abilities
- Strong writing and legal research skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate sensitive information both verbally and in writing to a diverse population.
- Ability to determine work priorities; especially when events attracting media attention arise.
- Ability to work effectively in a high-volume department as a team member and independently.
- Ability to exercise good judgment, execute various assigned tasks on multiple matters, work independently, exercise discretion and handle confidential information
In addition to your cover letter and resume, you will be required to upload a written response to the diversity and inclusion question listed below. The Diversity Statement should not exceed 1 page that is double-spaced with 1-inch margins, using 12pt. font.
- Is there a way you envision diversity and inclusion playing a role in this position? Please explain your answer.
Full-time, Administrative staff position available. Administrative Grade Level 354. Salary is commensurate with education and experience. Full benefit package available.
For a complete job description & to apply for this position visit https://bgsu.hiretouch.com/ or contact the Office of Human Resources at (419) 372-8421. BGSU. AA/EEO/Disabilities/Veterans. In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Bowling Green State University, please call 419-372-8421.
Associates degree in Paralegal Studies or related field required. Bachelor’s degree in paralegal studies or related field preferred. Degree must be conferred at the time of application.
The following experience is required:
- A minimum of two years of paralegal experience is required.
- Experience in the public sector and/or educational setting is desirable.
View Job at OMJ
19 total views
We are proud to offer priority of services to U.S. Military Veterans and eligible spouses.
OhioMeansJobs and Economic Development Partner Develop Resources to Help Employers Find Skilled Workers
OhioMeansJobs Hancock is partnering with Findlay-Hancock County Economic Development to help employers find skilled workers for their job openings.
OhioMeansJobs- Hancock offers several free business development resources designed to help