Job Description Position Summary The Aquatic Ecology Science Research Technician will be responsible leading the wastewater sampling program...
Job Views ( 13 )
Bowling Green, OhioWood County
The Aquatic Ecology Science Research Technician will be responsible leading the wastewater sampling program as part of a larger statewide COVID monitoring effort. The technician will also assist with the harmful algal bloom monitoring and experimental program as needed.
Essential Duties, Tasks and Responsibilities
- Coordinate with wastewater treatment operators and BGSU facilities managers to collect raw influent wastewater from each location.
- Order supplies associated with the project
- Coordinate the shipping of supplies and samples to and from each wastewater treatment plant
- Concentrate viruses from wastewater samples
- Extract and purify viral RNA
- Quantify viral RNA loads using RT-qPCR
- Analyze and report data
- Maintain lab safety protocols and compliance with University, State and Federal regulations
- Other duties as assigned. Assist with other project related to Great Lakes water quality as time allows
Knowledge, Skills or Abilities
- Excellent planning and organizational skills, and close attention to detail;
- Superior oral and written communication skills, as well as the ability to communicate a variety of target audiences both external and internal
- Previous experience using good lab practices, sterile technique and proper sample handling and storage
- Previous experience in extracting nucleic acids from water samples
- Previous experience using quantitative PCR
- Previous experience working in BSL2 laboratory
- Previous experience working with wastewater
- Previous experience working with aquatic microbes, preferably viruses
- Previous experience maintaining bacterial/algal cultures
- Previous experience using reverse transcription quantitative PCR
Full-time, Administrative staff position available. Administrative Grade Level 352. Salary is commensurate with education and experience. Full benefit package available. This is a grant-funded position. Duration of employment is contingent on continued availability of funding.
Deadline to apply: October 16, 2020
For a complete job description & to apply for this position visit https://bgsu.hiretouch.com/ or contact the Office of Human Resources at (419) 372-8421. BGSU. AA/EEO/Disabilities/Veterans. In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Bowling Green State University, please call 419-372-8421.
B.S. in environmental science, molecular biology, limnology, marine science or a related field required. MS in environmental science, molecular biology, limnology, marine science or a related field preferred. Successful candidate must have degree conferred at the time of application.
The following experience is required:
- at least 2 years laboratory experience in a laboratory that routinely processes water samples
View Job at OMJ
13 total views
We are proud to offer priority of services to U.S. Military Veterans and eligible spouses.
OhioMeansJobs and Economic Development Partner Develop Resources to Help Employers Find Skilled Workers
OhioMeansJobs Hancock is partnering with Findlay-Hancock County Economic Development to help employers find skilled workers for their job openings.
OhioMeansJobs- Hancock offers several free business development resources designed to help