Position Summary The Retention Specialist is an entry level administrative staff position within the TRIO Programs Department that has...
Job Views ( 44 )
Bowling Green, OhioWood County
The Retention Specialist is an entry level administrative staff position within the TRIO Programs Department that has primary responsibility for Student Engagement Services, maintaining a participant caseload, and supporting recruitment and programming within the Student Support Services program.
Essential Duties, Tasks and Responsibilities
- Provide advising to a caseload of 115-125 students, including monitoring progress via student meetings and semester and midterm grades
- Providing counseling to program participants to improve academic skills
- Provide intrusive services to students not meeting satisfactory academic progress including outreach by phone, letters and electronic media to students, monitor persistence and academic performance to ensure that program goals are met,
- Assist students with selection of coursework from grad plan and course registration and/or changing their schedules, including helping students determine which courses to take at other institutions based on transfer matrix information and knowledge of the transfer credit process, reviewing academic plans, exploring possible major changes and explaining academic policies (such as add/drop deadlines and procedures, repeating courses, etc.),
- Administering and analyzing need assessment tools.
- Work one-on-one with current students on caseload, providing academic and career advising, financial and economic literacy, graduate school assistance and assistance with personal/social issues and concerns.
- Assist the Academic Support Coordinator and Student Engagement Coordinator by attending and recruiting students to participate in SSS programs and activities.
- Provide financial, career and graduate school advising in person or through workshops. Provide relevant workshops to meet student needs in coordination with the Student Engagement Coordinator.
- Assist with the identification and selection of potential program participants throughout the academic year
- Meet with prospective students and their parents.
- Conduct SSS Information Session on program services to incoming parents and students,
- Assist with application assessment by analyzing and compiling student information, including financial aid and admissions information and placement test scores to determine to determine eligibility for the program.
- Responsible for teaching during the TRIO Summer Program, First Year courses (BG1910), as well as various TRIO workshops and retreats.
- Record-keeping and reporting, including caseload management and maintenance of case files and collecting, analyzing and assessing information for performance reports due each semester covering all work activities and preparing goal assessment reports.
- Participation in committees relevant to the SSS program participants’ needs.
Knowledge, Skills or Abilities
- Demonstrated working knowledge in servicing students with low-income and first generation backgrounds and students with disabilities
- Demonstrated experience working with students from diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrated Ability to work from a place of cultural competence to support an inclusive environment
- Experience advocating for students in matters of financial aid and working with students through appeals processes
- Knowledge of the policies, procedures, practices and activities of TRIO or similar programs
- Case management skills
- Knowledge of university student information systems such as CSS or similar databases
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
In addition to your cover letter and resume, you will be required to upload a written response to the diversity and inclusion question listed below. The Diversity Statement should not exceed 1 page that is double-spaced with 1-inch margins, using 12pt. font.
- Is there a way you envision diversity and inclusion playing a role in this position? Please explain your answer.
Full-time, Administrative staff position available. Administrative Grade Level 353. Salary is commensurate with education and experience. Full benefit package available.
Deadline to apply: November 17, 2021 (This position posting has been extended and applications will now be received through November 17, 2021.)
For a complete job description & to apply for this position visit https://bgsu.hiretouch.com/ or contact the Office of Human Resources at (419) 372-8421. BGSU. AA/EEO/Disabilities/Veterans. In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Bowling Green State University, please call 419-372-8421.
Bachelor’s Degree required. Degree must be conferred at the time of application.
The following experience is required:
- 2 years’ experience advising low-income, first-generation students and/or students with disabilities
- At least one year working with student information systems
- At least 1 years’ experience teaching college courses
View Job at OMJ
44 total views
We are proud to offer priority of services to U.S. Military Veterans and eligible spouses.
OhioMeansJobs and Economic Development Partner Develop Resources to Help Employers Find Skilled Workers
OhioMeansJobs Hancock is partnering with Findlay-Hancock County Economic Development to help employers find skilled workers for their job openings.
OhioMeansJobs- Hancock offers several free business development resources designed to help